Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Looking-Glass of Haroun


A link to the poem Walrus and the Carpenter by Lewis Carroll

A few semesters ago I took Oral Traditions with Dr. Sexson.  In that class we travelled through portals into new worlds with Lewis Carroll as our tour guide.  We went from one place in our memory theaters to another.  Our minds were open to the Doors of Perception and our thoughts blossomed with each portal we came across.  

And today I have found yet another portal while sitting on my couch reading Haroun and the Sea of Stories.  It would only make sense that in the Sea of Stories there would be some connection to the creator of portals in the literally world, Lewis Carroll.  His classic tale of Alice finding herself in the world of Wonderland, and venturing off into another de-mention has somehow found herself on the pages of this entertaining novel.  

As well, I know there is that connection to the Beatles song "I am the Walrus" and yes it is one of those lines that can open more than one door into your mind.  By one simple line I have now found myself in two worlds created by two separate units, and still have a thread that runs through both worlds as well as Haroun's world that eventually leads me right back to where I started from, thus completing the story of the Walrus and Haroun.



When pieces of literature come together, and create a spider web of imagination there seems to be no higher feeling in me.  I connect the low to the high and high to the low, and here is another connection for me to show.  haha well I can only imagine the other connections and portals that will be opened as this book unfolds.  

~L.


No comments:

Post a Comment